Thread: Bikes!
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Anyone want to share their highest milage? I've ridden the Suncoast Parkway two times in recent years -- 55 miles, total. I'm never in shape for it, either. I collapse and hurt for a good three days afterwards and I'm never sure if it was really worth it. I have no idea how people can ride century rides.
The past two years Pete and I have done the MS 150 out of Seneca Falls. That's 100 miles on Saturday and 50 more on Sunday. The Sunday fifty is much more painful. For me any mileage over 60 doesn't matter. Once you've ridden 60 you can do it. Of course I haven't done 60 this year, which leads me to believe that I'll be curled up in a fetal position this coming Sunday morning after Saturday's century. We toured in Ireland once and and did 300 miles in 5 days. We were not in shape before that trip but came home in pretty good condition.
Quote:
So, here's my question to those of you that own $1000+ bikes: does it really help? I know actually getting in shape is the best option, but do the lighter bikes make a huge difference? If someone can crank out 10 miles on a normal bike, will they be able to do many more on a racing bike?
My 520 is sub $1000 just barely but under. When you road ride with a competitive group it matters after you've tuned yourself to the highest degree. [commercial]The 520 has a nice group of components assembled for durability and precise shifting in bad conditions.[/commercial] It's made to be a reliable bike for heavy (self-contained) touring. When you ride longer distances you want a bigger chainring for more mechanical advantage than most mountain bikes come with and a more comfortable geometry for a relaxed ride. I'll let BN address the racing stuff.

Mountain bikers are generally a little less competitive and that's how I spend my summers. My old Jamis is fine for that stuff although a front shock would allow me to descend faster. My old hardtail is dominant when we're climbing. The nice thing about the Trek is that I can get in shape without the constant little injuries you get riding single-track.

Quote:
And god dammit, someone out there please manufacture a comfortable seat!
This baby fights that um...er... numbing problem.