View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #60
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
This weekend I drove past a new development of upscale houses ($800K+). That wasn't really unusual. What was unusual was the name of the development.

Slitting Mill? Does anyone do any kind of focus group testing. I mean, a lot rich people probably aren't afraid to get a little blood on their hands, but isn't this going a bit far?

I know in the U.K. there are some place names that reflect a bloody past, and even in the New England area of the U.S. you can find places like the Gibbet Hill Grill, but you would think that if there was an actual choice available, the developer would pick a different feature to highlight.

To be fair, the slitting that is referred to is a manufacturing term. Still, to me the name sounds like the title for a horror movie.
There's a hamlet by the name of Slitting Mill, in Staffordshire, England. It isn't a name/term I've ever encountered in any context but the Slitting Mill website sheds a little light on the name.

Quote:
Slitting Mill Village

Slitting Mill is a hamlet of fewer than 400 people, about one and a quarter miles west of Rugeley on the very edge of Cannock Chase. The village has also been known as Rolling Mill, and Stonehouse.
The name of Slitting Mill is derived from the type of work carried out along the stream where mills would split (slit) wood and metal.

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-05-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Tidying up.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote