View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #97
memories
Resident-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Nobler View Post
This takes me back, I lived and worked in the Odfellows when I was 18 back in 1989, I don’t know how much longer it lasted after that time as it was pretty much on its last legs then. It was tenanted from ABC brewery by a former drag artist who lived and ran the Prince of Whales as well, which was out of town. We ran it as a ‘Gay Friendly’ pub and had some really crazy times. Apart from memories the only thing I have left from the pub is my Rock-ola juke box which was in the side bar along with a pool table and dart board. I remember the cellar was huge with an old area for storing barrels and wine. It was interesting that it had the old entrances to three tunnels down there, one you could still get along, that just went across the road to the Nags Head I think it was called, the others we inaccessible but I remember an old punter telling me that one went to another pub along the road and the other went into town. I think the pub even back then had a preservation order on it due to the windows? Up stars was a simple flat with two bedrooms one in the loft, a bathroom and a sitting room that held more than its share of after hour drinking parties. I could go on. I think someplace I have a photo of the bar if anybody is interested. Oh and yes the Ladies and Gents was outside, I remember both had a drain cover that we removed at the end of the day and just used a hose to clean the mess out. Sorry Ladies no loo rolls in those days.
did you experience anything paranormal - noises, sightings ,cold spots etc. in your stay there .were the spiral stairs there to the upper room. i hated them !!very eerie and our dog wouldnt go up them like the celler he hated too.
my mum told me stories of the history of the celler that had been handed down from landlord tol andlord that the celler was known to of have witchcraft practiced down there in the early years of the pub. they say dogs can sence the paranormal ande he wouldnt dare go down there.
i do vaigely remember the celler being very very big. why did they have these tunnels. what were they for .
t
memories is offline   Reply With Quote