View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns334 View Post
Carruthers, I am a pretty good sleuth but I could not get anywhere with Emma's, what did you search on, how did you narrow it down, if it's not proprietary, lol

I saved the photo and uploaded it to Google Image Search.
There were several hits and I chose the Pinterest link. LINK. See image top left.

From the caption:

Quote:
30 juillet 1944 à Saint-Martin-des-Besaces, un convoi de la 8th Rifle Brigade passe le carrefour de la route Villers-Bocage / la Ferrière-Harang, le Sherman du premier plan appartient au 23rd Hussars britannique. (Imperial War Museum/B8292).

A Sherman tank of the British Armoured Division stands guard at the crossroads as a Loyd carrier towing an anti-tank gun passes by into Rue de Caen in Saint-Martin-des-Besaces, Lower Normandy.
It was then a matter of going to Google Maps and using the search term 'Saint-Martin-des-Besaces'.
It's not a big place but there are a few major road junctions and I soon found the one I was looking for.

As you can see, the image is credited to the Imperial War Museum.
In the past couple of minutes, I've gone down that route and found the image in question.

THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE NORMANDY CAMPAIGN 1944

Hope that's of some interest to you.

C.

ETA It's not apparent, unless you zoom right in on the map, but the road is now named Rue de la XIth Division Blindee Britannique. (British 11th Armoured Division)

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-18-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote