Thread: discipline
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #30
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I think that anyone who would rule through pain and fear is a vicious, sick dictator who has no compassion for the way their child feels afterwards.
I think every parent has a right to decide what they want to do with their kids. If you don't believe in spanking then I say more power to you. I do know people who have never laid a hand on their kids, AND their kids are very well behaved. But I also know people who really do need to get a little more aggressive in their discipline (like my sister and brother in-law) and lay down the law. I think if you can have well behaved kids without spanking them, then good.

Now here is where I disagree with you. I never saw getting a spanking as ruling with pain and fear. Often times the spankings I received were no harder then a pat on the butt. They almost never caused pain, but the principle of them is what I respected. Also because my parents counted to 5 before delivering said spankings it really became MY choice. I could CHOOSE not to listen to them. This is a foundation for all of our society. There are rules and laws, and you can choose to break them but there are consequences. Thats all I see spankings as. For my children it comes down to this: I have laid down the rules, we (the child and I) know what they are and just as when they get older there are repercussions to not following the rules.

Just my outlook on it.