View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
glatt

I grew up in Lewiston Maine. It's a smallish town and there aren't too many opportunities there that interested me, even though it's beautiful there. My siblings and I all moved away, but my parents are still there. Two of my siblings moved to the Boston area, which is still pretty close (2-3 hour drive) to Lewiston. I moved all the way to the Washington DC area right after college because I had some friends here then. My older brother moved all the way out to Silicon Valley, for school and his chosen field. We've both put down roots in our new homes.

My parents always encouraged travel when we were growing up, so I think none of us kids felt that tied to Maine. I miss Maine. It was a great place to be as a kid, but my wife and kids and I have put down roots in this area. We could do far worse than Arlington, VA. This is really a nice place to live.

My Mom grew up in Pennsylvania, and my Dad on Long Island, and they both made a new life for themselves in Maine, so they were the generation to break free from the homeland. We're just continuing the trend.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote