View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #355
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
When a truck driver is making a turn like that do they normally glance in their side view mirror to see if some fool is trying to squeeze by?

I'm not saying they are required to. Just - is it common to do so?
Once he does that he has a shitload of other things to watch for, too many to keep checking for some fool trying to sneak by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
I once had a trucker who was beginning a wide-angled turn like that, who saw me coming up the far left lane and stopped to see what I would do. Since I noticed him wanting to make that turn, I stopped and let him continue.
I do everything I can to get by them, but I know what they're likely to do, what common sense says they have to do.
Going north on 322 today, it's mostly 2 lane with a center turn lane, and no passing for miles and miles. One short section up the hill in East Brandywine Twp, it's two lanes to the light at the shopping center and a couple hundred feet later it narrows to one lane. Of the three cars in front of me, two pass the truck but the third is pacing the truck despite my threats of castration and disembowelment. Sure enough the fool wakes up and scoots ahead at the last minute. I could have too but the truck has to move over, and would have to brake if I did, which would break his momentum and slow everyone behind me when he did merge. So I waited and let him pull over.

Now before you think I'm Mr nice guy, I was coming out RTE 30 from Lancaster, and it's from five lanes with a center turn lane, shopping on both sides, and a ton of lights. Then it narrows to three with a turn lane, so no passing for a zillion miles. I spot three trailer trucks ahead with about a half mile to the merge. Before I can get there the third, a cattle hauler, moves into the left lane. He's slower at the lights but not enough to get by. The other two beat him to the merge and I followed them and cut him the fuck off. He had to lock 'em up to a full stop. He deserved it.