View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 AM   #25
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I do indeed, but I'm not frightened of it. We've succeeded at it before, and with nuclear weapons at that. Bear in mind too just how enthusiastic the opposition is about nuclear weaponry...

While it's theoretically a righteous enough question, the action of fighting and defeating fascists does not, on the record, fascists make -- cf. WW2. I think somebody hopes to create a boogeyman with arguments of this kind. It may possibly indicate the subconsciously fascistic, undemocratic mindset so often found among the Left. Being not so far from undemocrats themselves at bottom, they don't understand that for conservatives it's a far longer step from where their heads are currently at to something totalitarian.

What the raving anti-Republicans never seem to think of is that all their arguments are rationalizations for one thing: their contention that you must leave dictatorships alone, fascists untroubled, and oppression and poverty in their fullest effect, to remain a virtuous person.

This is so ridiculous on its face all its adherents should die laughing. That they fail to do so is evidence of a vast mental disconnect. These poor leftist morons actually expect to be taken seriously by people of too much intelligence to be on the Left. Tsk.

Sooner or later I'm going to have to tell somebody around here right to his face that that's a pretty fair way to be a good Fascist, but it's not the way to be a good Human.

If the bad guys are violent, that is no reason for us good guys to be less efficient at violence. After all, what has "settled more issues in history than any other factor?" And what settlement of the issue do we want again?

Some edifying reading -- while this article errs on some points of detail readily spotted by Heinlein fans, it has some perspicacious remarks too about how Heinlein seems to make libertarians. Makes me go hmmm...

Add in John Stuart Mill while we're improving our minds and the shining hour by good reading:

Quote:
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
But back to topic: how much do you want democracy, rather than excess of government, to prevail? Humanity is rather good at rebuilding, regardless of the size, depth or extent of the ash heap. Even Troy was reconstructed at least seven times.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 11-21-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote