View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #866
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Followed advice from here with H today.
Spoke the song that would help, using the correct cadence, but not singing.
It got him singing under his breath. He sings well and enjoys it, as I said before. He couldn't get the missing word though, so it's a bust and I won't pursue it now.

We were very silly on one of his wordwall words.
Just before half-term we went through a new wordwall. What with the holiday and my sickness, we only got to review it again today, Other people have read with him, but I am mostly his wordwall monitor.

So before half-term he managed to half sound out coffee. He got coff, but gave the double ee an ay sound, and also gave it emphasis: Coff-AY.
I helped him put it in perspective, and in a few sentences but he did have a giggle about the way he'd pronounced it.

Today we got to coffee and he confidently pronounced it coff-AY. I'm sorry, it made me laugh. That's exactly how it is pronounced in a broad Leicester accent. I didn't intend to do more than grin, but I snickered. H then started giggling because he thought what he had said must be very funny.
So he said it again and gazed up at me with innocent eyes and cracked me up again.
Bad Mrs O.

Mrs J looked over to see what the joke was.
I told her later. As with you, I related it when it was no longer funny.
But I suspect H & I will be mildly amused by it for a while.

My first FORMAL session with Mars tomorrow:
Introduction
Establishing rules
Warm up
Issue being addressed
Review
Cool down/ relaxation

Nervous. Not least because I have been left to scrabble for a private space.
Might have to kick this upstairs. The people I have addressed my concerns to so far have given reasonable ideas of how to solve it, but they aren't realistic ie use a Topic Room: all booked for that time. Hall? Booked. Classroom? Not available until 13.30 (20 minutes into the session) Library? Not condusive to these sessions because people drop in and out.

That's the trouble with starting partway through the school year.
I found that with Tiger last year.
Now I'm working with TWO autistic children and yet expecting them to deal with random spaces. I have a routine with Tiger because we started this school year together. But the times and timing of our sessions have changed three times now and I've had to find us a space every change.

And Mars... we trek around the school looking for space.
No t a great start for a one-to-one.

For the first time in my life I long for summer.
Even if it's raining we can sit in the Gazebo.

Grrrrr for working hours that don't take account of timetables.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote