Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #3142
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I watched that clip, we probably both took the same clickbait from the duck story.

Here's how I see it. The woman was very upset, thinks weren't going her way. These strong emotions required a great deal of her energy and attention to "keep it together" as the leader of the school, the emcee; she was under a lot of pressure at the moment. But she has only a limited amount of wherewithal/composure/calm/attention/etc and in this circumstance, she didn't have enough to cover all imminent loss of control of the audience (the people leaving in the first place) AND control her own emotional response "Look who's leaving: all the black people!".

I think that statement reveals an uncomfortable reality about her perspective, namely that skin color is an important and substantive aspect of groups of people that can be a reliable indicator about lots of other aspects of those same people; "If black, then XYZ."

She saw the people who are leaving and saw black people leaving. She didn't notice or comment on the people leaving as the offended people leaving or the impatient people leaving or the rude people leaving or any other people leaving. The people who were leaving were the people who acted on her instructions "Thanks for attending, that concludes our ceremony, you are dismissed." or words to that effect. I think the very fact that it was her mistake at forgetting to introduce the speaker and prematurely dismissing the audience that flustered her in the first place. That's an embarrassing mistake. The people leaving drew attention to that mistake, people who were leaving precisely because she'd dismissed them. Oooops. That would certainly be uncomfortable.

But in other stories I've read on the incident, there are remarks attributed to her that are just as mean and unflattering, though not as racially prejudiced. The story says she called the man making the video we watched a "goober" and a "coward". Why? Shame, she's ashamed, so she's lashing out. There's another one where she's reported to have said that a crying baby should have his mouth taped shut. Maybe she said these things, maybe not. But they're consistent, and they're awful. I find such revelations about the inner perspectives of people fascinating. And this case, I find them saddening and sickening. I wouldn't want someone who feels like this to run a school, any school.

And her apology is nothing. She's insincere and unrepentant. She just wants the attention to her shameful words to go away and have things return to "normal" where she's the boss and no one can see her inner feelings.