Thread: Suddenly Old
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
Snakeadelic
Banned

The first time I felt old...I remember it vividly.

I was living in a previously-abandoned mobile home and doing odd jobs around the owner's property to help offset the extra electrical bill costs and such. She was astounded to find out that, thanks to my 2nd husband's parents, I knew how to supervise, re-thread, and hoop up items for a Tajima professional embroidery machine--she had a 4-head, while my former in-laws owned a print shop that had 3 12-heads (in the mid-90s, about $100,000 each) among the other equipment.

So I'm out in the modular room that constituted her 'business space', listening to the local classic rock station while running hats on the Tajima. It was 2007. Now, I grew up in the Willamette Valley, and one of the radio stations there holds a record in the US. KGON 92.3 out of Portland. They started out in like 1968 playing "album-oriented rock". The usual: Zeppelin, Floyd, Boston, Bad Company, ZZ Top, that kinda stuff. Eventually, while only slowly adding to their library over time as classics proved out, they became a "classic rock" station.

They are the oldest still-broadcasting radio station in the US that has never changed format or call letters. I listened to them my whole life in Oregon, on really good days in southern Washington, and still do when we go back to visit. I know I could listen online, but saving it for a treat when we're in town is a much more awesome thing to me, and Portland is VERY short on awesome for someone like me.

So I'm rockin' along to a very similar if much younger station back in 2007 and then they had to go and do it. First time I ever felt old was when the classic rock station played something that was #1 on MTV...after I graduated high school. (sarcasm)Thanks a ****ing lot, Def Leppard!(/end sarcasm). It was "Pour Some Sugar on Me" for the record, as I graduated in June 1989 right when that earworm was eating the video charts for lunch.

For the record, I too am currently 46.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote