https://www.nfl.info/download/2012me...ule%20book.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulebook article 3, page 47

COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS
Article 3
Completed or Intercepted Pass.
A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete
(by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act
common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an
opponent, etc.).
Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.
Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must
lose
control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.
So, Dez didn't have it in his control long enough for him to have enough time to have performed an act common to the game. even though he took 3 steps, and lunged. The overlap of his falling to the ground and the possession steps is what makes it NOT a catch. If he had hugged the ball to his body instead of reaching toward the goal line, maybe he could have kept it from moving more than slightly.

fucking shame.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote