View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #101
glatt

Another car buying question.

We bought our Camry about 3 years ago, as detailed in this thread, and it's had an extremely intermittent rough idle/stalling problem for the last two years or so. I've tried different things to fix it, but haven't been able to figure out the problem. So while I love the car in many ways, I also fucking hate the thing. Bottom line is I don't trust it and every road trip is stressful, even when I get to my destination just fine.

So that brings me to my question. Our next door neighbor is literally a little old lady who drives very seldom. She recently made the transition to a nursing home, and her children said they will be selling her car soon.

It's a 2009 Honda Accord (VIN 1HGCP26829AU12666)
With only 8k miles on it! Looks like leather seats, but I'm not sure. Needs new tires (admitted to us offhand by her adult child who backed into a curb and had to replace one of them and was told by the shop that it needed all new tires.)

She's probably never taken it on the highway. So it's had a ton of local, short trips at very slow speed. (not ideal) It looks like it's in great condition, except it has half a dozen small scuffs all around the perimeter (consistent with a little old lady having trouble in a parking lot.) I don't know if she's changed the oil in those 5 years. She has slowed down physically in the last 2 years or so, so it's very possible that the oil hasn't been changed in around 2 years/2,000 miles.

I haven't expressed interest in it yet to the potential sellers, but we have a good relationship with them, and I'm sure they would sell it to us if we showed interest.

We haven't even test driven it, so I don't even know if we like it. And of course we would ask for any maintenance records and have a mechanic take a look at it. Actually, the mechanic we would use is also her mechanic, so they would have a record of it.

So the question is, should we buy this car, and if so, what should we offer? We want to offer a fair price.

2009 Hondas like this go for about $10K on cars.com, but they have 90K miles.

On NADA, they give this information:
Name:  Honda.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  62.0 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote