View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #234
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yesterday at dusk, I passed someone hauling a backhoe, going south on 476.

Some dude was going 65 hauling a backhoe, and switching lanes fast as if they were driving a car. I passed them and did 70 for a while. It's probably twenty years ago, but I remember a story where someone was hauling construction equipment up the Schuylkill Expressway incorrectly, and a piece broke off and killed a woman instantly.

Five miles later, 476 intersects into 95. As usual, there's congestion and a slowdown, just as the ramps and merges are getting started. Two lanes are slowing down quick. Don't cha know, I hear big metal braking sounds and rumble rumble and here comes Mr. Backhoe fast down the skinny right shoulder. He didn't notice the congestion and couldn't slow down, and this was his emergency maneuver.

No doubt, the fuckin' guy was doing 65 right into the I-95 south merge. It can slow down fast, but this was still a light curve at that point.

(For locals, it was just before the MacDade ramp merges in. They guy wound up in the lane that ramp creates, so suddenly he was fine and could merge just like he came up the ramp.)

I imagine Pamela has low respect for these part-timers, who probably get a CDL so they can make an extra hour's wages per day to drive the gear to the site. It's the end of the day, Saturday, you know he was rushing to get home.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote