View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #162
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
hey bbro

serious question. did you really make an egg salad with 1.5 eggs? why not two eggs? tomorrow will you use the remaining half egg and another whole egg for the encore meal? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I have been cooking a LONG time, I'm a pretty good cook, but one area I have trouble with is portion control. Egg salad seems like one of those things I just can't make ONE portion of, like making one serving of spaghetti or something. Is that the key, ratios that include dividing eggs? that seems like a lot of trouble. I would (I'm sure this is the root of the problem I just described) just make it with three eggs and save half if I knew it was needed for tomorrow's breakfast. Actually I'd have probably eaten the whole thing, leading to other, weightier problems, but that is a related but different story.
BigV/Wolf - Yes - that is exactly what I plan on doing tomorrow morning for breakfast. As for why 1.5? Two seemed too many and one didn't seem like enough.

I don't know if splitting the eggs first is the key to portion control, but it is definitely helpful. It is easier to figure out a single portion if everything from the beginning is only for one portion than trying to make multiple servings and splitting it. With things like pasta, I weigh out the dry portion first, then cook. If I am making multiple servings, I weigh them all out, then when it is cooked, I know exactly how many servings I have and separate them immediately. That helps, too

Don't get me wrong - I have issues with portion control, too. Weight watchers helped and now I am doing SparkPeople, so I still have to track every bit that goes in my mouth. The tracking helps a lot. You don't want to have to go back and scratch out your healthy single serving and add to it.

Just my opinion, though Hope that all makes sense
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote