Thread: Generation swap
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Unhappy

Serves me right for saying "there's nothing good that could happen at today's visit [to my mother in hospital-limbo]". At least she smiled a couple of times last week.
This week she swung between being frightened of her delusions (about firebombings and mortar attacks that have taken place or will take place), being frightened of the fact that she cannot determine what is delusion and what is reality, being frightened of staying in hospital because of the impending firebomb attacks, being frightened of staying in hospital because it's boring as hell, and irritation at me for not understanding. With a few pleas for us to go out, get out, go to the cinema and go for a good meal in between.
Meanwhile, the doctors in their infinite wisdom seem to have prescribed a calmer down (haloperidol) which is Bad For People with Parkinsons (did I mention the Parkinsons disease?). My mother has had a series of falls (did I mention the two broken arms, in two separate falls, since hospital admission in late July?), so what she doesn't need is an increase in Parkinsonian shuffle and Parkinsonian poor balance from a casually prescribed drug.