View Single Post
Old 04-10-2001, 01:24 PM   #7
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Protein

Peanuts are gonna become one hell of a commodity.

In all seriousness, though. People are too damn self-righteous to realize that we are animals. We need to eat meat, which means we need to kill animals. I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but I don't think that being milked once daily is unethical in the least. And what about the ethical treatment of other people while we're at it? There are wars going on, people are killing each other, people are starving, people are freezing on the streets of New York and Chicago, in our own back yards, so to speak, and apparently a cow living a sedentary lifestyle, getting fed well, getting milk once a day, and eventually getting converted into fine meat products is more of an outrage.

This whole thing reminds me of a quote from Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle

This is parphrased by the way, but

Quote:
God created everything there is from mud. And some of the mud, which would become man, spoke to God. The mud said "God, what is the purpouse of all this?" and God said "Everything needs a purpouse?". Man said "Of course", then God told man "Then it's your job to figure out why I did all this, and let me know."
It's basically that people take themselves, and everything around them, too damn seriously. We aren't champions of the earth, menat to rise above the animals and protect them. We're animals too, and we need to either learn to live with everything on the earth, and with everything that must go on on the earth (including death), or get out.

--Steve
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche