View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It's an interesting phenomenon with crossover (ESL) artists performing songs originally written in their native language. Often it's that the native cultural presentation has a genuineness that the artist doesn't translate quite so well in their English performance. There's usually a correlation to how comfortable the artist is using English in daily life as opposed to just singing in English; but, not always. Sometimes it's that the phonetics of the original language are a better match to the tune, the lyrics, or the meaning. Occasionally it's a matter of fad depending on which other cultures are in vogue when a song is released. Rarely is it just vocabulary; or, grammatical structure as in these cases different lyrics, maybe with entirely different meanings, are written for the tune.

I like several Spanish-English crossover artists who record the same songs in both languages. Some songs I prefer listening to exclusively in Spanish, others in English, and the decision is usually made early on as the subconscious impression quickly forms involving all of the aforementioned factors.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote