View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is the Fourth Thursday of November. In the United States this day is set aside to celebrate Thanksgiving. On one level it is a recreation/remembrance of the first Thanksgiving in the New World, in which two cultures came together and learned from each other.

Thanks were given to God in gratitude for the survival and success of the colony. Today, too often, the "thanks" part of Thanksgiving, if not actually forgotten, is lost in the frenzy of preprations of turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, and sweet potato puff, the watching of Santa's arrival in the big parade kicking off the retail holiday season, putting up Christmas decorations, and, of course, football.

Today I am grateful for many things.

I am grateful my friends. They have supported me through some very difficult times this year, and even if I haven't been able to spend time with them, I know they are there for me.

I am grateful for my mother's continuing recovery. Slow progress is still progress. I hope that she becomes able to appreciate her improvement. I know that it is harder for her to see.

I am grateful for my sister who has been a significant source of support for my mother and myself, and who is making sure that my mother's Thanksgiving dinner isn't being made in the microwave.

I am grateful for the beauty of a crisp, clear Fall day, touched by the hand of the coming Winter.

I am grateful for joy, peace, love, hope, and faith in my life.

I am grateful for laughter and humor, and the healing that it brings.

I am grateful for The Chicago Bears outstanding 9-1 record thus far this season.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote