View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I understand, of course I do. A line has to be drawn somewhere and it will hit those closest to it the hardest. I think what bugged me personally was the fact that in my case, my medication helped me back into work.
Exactly! In my case my prescription insurance actually covers a fairly wide range of meds. What it does not cover now are the expensive meds which allow me be functional enough to hold down a job. Without the income from a job, I am thrown back on Medicaid as well as a number of gov't assistance programs because my Social Security payment is so low. The Government will actually spend more on me and other Americans like me by refusing me coverage. The Feds will end up paying the $500 after all plus about $650 in other assistance because my income is so low.

Social Security allows me to earn $1,000/month without it effecting my disability benefit - or my Social Security old age benefit when I reach 65. I wouldn't qualify for the other assistance programs though. Still, even with paying the extra $650 plus a Medicare part D premium, I'd be ahead of the game. And I would be far less dependent on the Government - something that would make me very, very happy. I'd rather earn as much of my own way as possible. That's a value my parents instilled in me, and it hasn't changed.

So, if Medicare covered my prescription, the Feds would still be $650 ahead of the game, because I could move to Durango, land a job that paid more, etc. But common sense doesn't seem to be part of the equation here.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote