View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #23
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
Yes. My point is there's little in the way of organized campaigns to do anything about prostate cancer, the way there are about other cancers (particularly breast cancer). The reasons being twofold

1) It only affects men and
2) It's too closely associated with the ass.
There are lots of organized campaigns out there for a lot of random diseases and causes that only effect 1 out of a billion people. Whatever it is still impacts their lives and it is really insensitive to say that there is no reason for others to care about it.

Guess what? I have men in my life that I care about, ie - my husband, my dad, my grandfather, many male friends - thus I should care about prostate cancer because if one of them got it, it would effect my life.

Granted, some people care about really crazy stuff... but i'm not going to discount them for being passionate about whatever cause they are passionate about.

It's like on the Simpsons, when Marge and Bart played in the Krusty the Klown Charity tennis tournament to aid victims of Balcony Collapse. Bart essentially says that he hopes that BC will be wiped out in his lifetime. Weird infliction to have a charity tennis tourney for, but if that's what someone is passionate about, more power to them.