View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

HOA members are all the property owners and elect the board who write and enforce the rules.
Because elected means politics, egos, and power struggles, it's a bunch of assholes with a lot of power "protecting your interests".
Thanks, Bruce.

It sounds like a recipe for festering resentment, petty vendettas and general score settling!

I am only speaking in general terms, but in the UK there are very often covenants in the deeds which people tend to obey or ignore as they think fit.
Again generally, covenants are difficult to enforce and matters only surface when a property is sold.
I'm aware of a local building plot with a derelict bungalow which has a covenant restricting further development.
The trouble is that the covenant is so old it isn't known if there is anyone in a position to enforce it.
The estate agent's blurb mentions that the vendors have taken out insurance against an attempt at enforcement and the premium will be reflected in the sale price. From memory it was about £2000.

Along the road here, there's a general prohibition against keeping poultry.
In a gesture of rebellion I am considering rushing out and buying a dozen Rhode Island Reds.
After I've had my tea, of course.