View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

This kind of crap is one of the reasons I avoid mass media like the plague. I don't watch TV anymore, I don't listen to the radio anymore, and I don't read magazines. And I won't browse the Internet without Mozilla's popup blocking and image manager stopping most of the ads. Now if only Mozilla would add the ability to block plug-ins on a per-site basis, it's be complete freedom from all ads, including Flash-based. Ahh.

So much of what is marketed right now is lies. So many companies are profiting on peoples' insecurities... weight loss, weight gain, sexual enhancement, penis/breast enlargement... not to mention financial insecurities. My own grandmother gave her life saving away to various sweepstakes before anybody realized that she was doing it. Tens of thousands of dollars, gone.

Not to try to hijack the thread, but I'm curious... do you guys think it's wrong to visit a website but block the ads, which are a site's source of revenue? Some argue that it is immoral to block ads, but I liken it to ripping all of the ads out of a magazine before reading it. It's the risk of the publisher to hope that the reader decides to view the ads, and to respond to them. But if the reader does not do so, they have not acted immorally. But that's just my opinion.