View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #1127
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Facebook, Google, and Linkedin tried recruiting me this cycle, but they all want people to move to Silicon Valley and I have no interest.

That would be bragging, except I know the game. It's not actually flattering. They have run out of people who voluntarily want to live in Silicon Valley, because it's entirely insane. Now they are going after anyone with a few correct keywords on their resume.

I have some of those keywords, but it doesn't mean I actually qualify for the positions they have. In local interviews, when people have bit on my keywords, they are always disappointed that I haven't done anything with their desired technology in quite some time. I never get any of the keywords jobs. My approach was to interest the recruiters in my keywords and then do a search to find jobs they are also offering which are not so cushy. "No I can't be your Perl programmer, I haven't done it in 20 years. But I can be your technical writer."

And then they wouldn't even hire me to be their technical writer. But at least it got me some decent bites.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote