View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #221
regular.joe
Старый сержант

True on all counts, not humble, arrogant, and people do avoid me at meetings.

I don't think I've been clear though. I've really only put out the definition of alcoholic as outlined in our book. If when you drink you develop the phenomenon of craving, and if at certain times you can't bring to consciousness with sufficient force the reasons not to drink and you drink again setting in motion the phenomenon of craving, well you are alcoholic. We either fit this description or not. This is not a self description, it's clearly outlined in our literature. If this is arrogant of me, and lacking in humility then so be it. I am tired of watching alkies die around our fellowship. Four this year alone, one suicide, one drunk driving fatality, two alcohol poisoning. The were meeting makers, sponsor callers and book readers. They all said, and hung with the crowd that said they could do this with out some kind of God, that they could just play the tape through and gut it out a day at a time. They spent a lot of time "working on themselves".

I've already told you and I really did mean it that if going to meetings and participating in group therapy, talking with your sponsor, reading our literature, and finally thinking about the details of your last detox will keep you sober...I"M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU. There are a small number of us, at least by my reckoning, that the only relief is provided by Providence, Higher Power, Spirit of the Universe, Creative Intelligence of the Universe...what ever you want to call it. It ain't an oak tree or a door knob. You have made it clear that you can do with out this Thing. My hat is off to you, truly. I would ask that you be careful, because my message that a certain population of us can only recover through the growth and maintenance of a spiritual experience will not kill you. I get it, it pisses you off....the arrogance! The fellowships message that I can recover by doing anything but, will kill a guy like me.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote