View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #10694
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

[quote=DanaC;854978]Here he is talking about how the world wide web happened.

That's the first time in quite a while that I've sat thru an entire 25-min video.
His style of delivery is somewhat erratic, but once you get used to it the second half is well worth while.

But I think he misses a point when he is critical of people who are only using computers
as the "white thing" that they open and link to the web, instead of writing new programs.

Today, computers and programming are akin to automobiles.
Ford and Chevrolet are no longer different cars, except maybe to a few "auto-junkies",
and MS, Apple, and IBM are no longer different computers, except to a few "computer-junkies".

If you want to create something new in either of these fields,
you have to swim upstream against a current of what already exists.
Whatever "new programming" is do-able now has to be compatible with what already exists.

Unfortunately, today's CEO's of MS, Apple, Google, FB, Twitter, Ebay, the chip-makers, etc.
have turned away from creativity ("programming") and are only tinkering around the edges,
or are engulfed in profit-making via patent-infringement battles with one another.

I did very much like his final urging... to use creativity to develop something new starting first,
not with the technica or material aspects, but with changing human interactions.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote