View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #135
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
The Repubs are doing all they can to keep the Dems from taking the bit in their teeth and running wild. If the Dems succeed in running wild, they will crash, terribly.
You mean like the Republicans did for six years...running wild, rubber stamping everything Bush wanted, conducting virtually no Congressional oversight of the Executive Branch, giving Bush unprecedented 'war powers (warrantless wiretaps of citizens, circumventing US treaty obligations...)w/o a Congressional war powers resolution, politicizing the Dept of Justice, nearly doubling the national debt to over $9 trillion...and then crashing with a thud!

I guess we shall see if the Democrats meet that lofty standard, but people w/o an agenda, by that I mean most Americans, will probably wait beyond one month before making that judgement.

I like the new EOs on government contracting, reviewing detention policies, ensuring lawful interrogations, protecting presidential records. I like the new FOIA memorandum and guidelines. I like the action by the Dept of Interior to put a hold on oil/gas exploration leases in proximity to national parks. I like the SCHIP expansion and the Pay Equity Act. And I like the bold action on the stimulus bil, although I would have preferred it being bolder.

I like that many Americans give Obama and the Democratic Leaders in Congress high approval ratings as well:

I like that even a majority of Republicans are optimistic about Obama
But I know the public has little patience and high expectations.

And I know that Merc doesnt believe in polls.

Last edited by Redux; 02-13-2009 at 12:41 AM.