View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #49
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Okay, Brianna, ya wanna rumble?

Lit geeks (if that is what you prefer) don't have the imagination or creativity to read good SF. (sneer). They prefer the mundane, the day-to-day, the comfort of real life!

It takes a special person to create and write whole worlds, history, culture as well as new scientific concepts, to weave those concepts into present place and character; and a special person to be able to read and visualize them. I also submit that science fiction and fantasy (whether or not you care to lump them together) are the classics of our time--or at least some of them. Written and filmed SF is woven into twentieth and twenty first century culture, irrevocably. Much of written science fiction is fine and though provoking, as much as mainstream literature. I think that movies, especially, have joined with this genre so marvelously, and I only anticipate more creativity in this area.

Okay, I'm kidding about the rumbling and sneering part, and would never make fun of literature geeks. Seriously--everyone is entitled to their own taste. Just read!
The other side to this coin is that some people need all the bells and whistles to stimulate their mind: movies have to have loud booms and flashing lights, books have to have very clear motives, a beginning, middle, and end. Everything has to be flashy and decorated. To me, this ignores the mystery of the human mind that man has been trying to understand for centuries; it is this study of human nature that my weird brain thrives on.

Just playing devil's ad. I AM going to try to read one of the suggestions, and I certainly know how intelligent you folks are! Maybe I'll find a whole new world that I like.

Oh, and I AM weird.