Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #2730
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
If East Midlands is the airport I think it is (just outside Cov) then the plane is larger than the actual airport
When I went there it was little more than a shack in a field. The lady in the catering "building" aka shed - left me in charge while she went to get change for my bacon cob! I only had a £20 note as I had my holiday money with me, drawn out that morning.

The Bureau de Change was a machine...

It was strangely charming, especially for someone who has only flown from London airports previously (and I thought Stansted was provincial!)
East Mids is about two thirds of the way from Leicester to Derby. Quite a big freight hub plus 'bucket and spade' flights to the usual holiday destinations around the Med.

I think that Coventry Airport has made efforts to take trade from Brum and East Mids but hasn't been too successful. I doubt if you'd be able to get a holiday flight from there anymore, let alone a scheduled service. If memory serves, all the overseas mail coming into the country arrives at Coventry to be processed at the Royal Mail centre there and I believe that a number of parcels companies also have operations at the airport. Not entirely without success, but still not a bustling international hub.