View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Britain's most senior Roman Catholic, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, has accused the prime minister of acting immorally by favouring the rich ahead of ordinary citizens affected by the recession.

The cardinal also denounced David Cameron's opposition to a "Robin Hood tax" on financial institutions.

And he urged Mr Cameron not just to help "your very rich colleagues".
But the man in the Top Hat understands, he really does.

Quote:
The prime minister told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: "I understand how tough it is for people in our country right now, if you're trying to make the household budget work out, if you've got petrol and diesel at the prices that they are now.

"I understand how difficult it is when you've got job losses in the public sector and you need the private sector to expand faster - we need more jobs.

"I understand those difficulties, that is what fires me up, that is what gets me out of bed to work hard to do the right thing for my country and it's got to be about the long term."

He understands, he says. But many of us would find his policies more palatable if they came from a place of ignorance. To understand and still act in this way is unforgivable.

Quote:
In a BBC Scotland interview, [the Cardinal said]: "My message to David Cameron, as the head of our government, is to seriously think again about this Robin Hood tax, the tax to help the poor by taking a little bit from the rich.

"The poor have suffered tremendously from the financial disasters of recent years and nothing, really, has been done by the very rich people to help them.

"And I am saying to the prime minister, look, don't just protect your very rich colleagues in the financial industry, consider the moral obligation to help the poor of our country."
Quote:
The UK government has opposed the unilateral introduction of the "Robin Hood" tax, which would impose a small tax levy on large transactions of currencies, bonds and shares. It argues jobs and investment would be lost overseas.

But the cardinal said he believes that position is immoral because, he maintains, it overlooks the needs of the poorest in society and those of the less well-off.

He said: "When I say poor, I don't mean (only) the abject poverty we see sometimes in our streets.

"I mean people who would have considered themselves reasonably well-off.

"People who have saved for their pensions and now realise their pension funds are no more.

"People who are considering giving up their retirement homes that they have been saving for, poverty affecting young couples and so on and so on.

"It is these people who have had to suffer because of the financial disasters of recent years and it is immoral.

"It is not moral, just to ignore them and to say 'struggle along', while the rich can go sailing along in their own sweet way."
So says the (small 'c') conservative Catholic cardinal.

Quote:
The cardinal was speaking in support of a campaign by the Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund (SCIAF) which says the billions of pounds raised by levying a financial transaction tax in the UK could be spent helping the poor and vulnerable at home and abroad.

The aid agency estimates a tax of 0.05% on major financial transactions, such as the trading of stocks, bonds and derivatives, would raise £20bn each year in the UK alone.

We're all in this together and the Prime Minister understands. But he won't put the cost of the nation's distress onto his friends, when the poor are able to shoulder so much.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote