View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #810
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Update (s) on Merlot.

So ,,, Jude managed to get a flight - armed with his negative Covid-19 test certificate and expert visa, he left Yorkshire, got on a plane ... and in the intervening period between buying tickets and getting on the plane, Vietnam had changed their entry requirements: for people whose flights left before the complete ban on foreign nationals came into force they would be allowed in only with a signed letter from immigration - the complete ban went into force the day after Jude had to give up on his attempt. He got as far as Seoul where he was supposed to get a connecting flight to Hanoi and that's when he found out. Had to turn right back around - couldn't even do an overnight stay in Seoul because he'd have had to go into quarantine and been stuck there 2 weeks,

He got back to the UK on the Sunday evening - and had to grab a few hours sleep and then get up and start his online teaching at 1am (his students are of course on Vietnamese time)

Earliest they may possibly be able to get to Vietnam is 1st July

Merlot is failing fast. They had hoped to get him to Thailand for surgery and chemo to try and buy him time but the borders closed and not opening for at least another week to 10 days.

Their VN vet was trying CBD oil as there has been some indication that this may help shrink tumors - however, yesterday he wouldn't eat at all and they have him on a drip - if he doesn't rally by morning, the two Js think they will have to ask for him to be put to sleep.

I am heartbroken for them - and a little for me too.

I remember after Jude had been in this job for about a year, and janet had decided to go and live over there, Judah was saying he would be coming back for visits and bringing Merlot - I said then I worried Carrot and Merlot would never see each other again. I said it half jokingly when we got the boys together for a visit ahead of them leaving - but I also kind of meant it. I just figured if they end up staying there for 5-6 years, that would take the dogs to 12 or 13, and the practicalities of taking dogs on such long flights would probably make bringing him with on a UK trip not happen.

I didn't have anything quite so fast in my head. Poor Merlot. He's such a happy little soul. The idea of him suffering breaks my heard. And the idea of him not being with his own people makes it so much worse - even though I know that Merlot isn't lay there wondering where they are. He's bonded with the kennel staff after such a long time - and he has his adopted brother Biscuit with him.

I know people are going through worse shit as a result of this virus - denied the last moments with dying family members, separated from young children, stuck in random hotels on the other side of the world ... but this still feels so sad and unfair. They came over for 3 weeks, got stuck for 3 months and then it turned out those were Merlot's last 3 months. It feels a bit like they were robbed of those last few months with him.

Anyhow - enough of such sadness. I am going to go walk Carrot in the rain.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote