Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #29
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Blueberry Corn Salad

Blueberry Corn Salad

Name:  20160705_193930sm.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  128.6 KB

4 ears of sweet corn, cut from the cob. Protip--shuck the corn, break the ear in half, put the flat end of the broken ear on the cutting board, slice the kernels off. That gives you a stable(r) base to slice against.

1 pint of blueberries

1/2 red onion, diced fine.

2 small persian cucumbers, sliced into thin coins.

1 bundle of basil leaves, chiffonade.

orange champagne vinegar

olive oil

honey

salt

pepper

Blanch the corn. Bring a large pot of water to a high boil. Prepare a big bowl of icewater, large enough to hold your colander. Dump the corn into the boiling water, 2 minutes. Pour the corn/water into your colander and put the colander into the ice bath immediately. I wound up having to add ice. After it's completely cooled, the quicker the better, drain well and put into a large bowl.

Add the blueberries, diced onion, sliced cucumber.

Now, for the dressing, I have to say I don't measure many things precisely in the kitchen. I'm a pretty good cook and a terrible baker, and I think this is a prime reason. Cooking is art, baking in science. In the kitchen, I'm much more of an artist than a scientist. At least not a precise scientist. Which is the long way of saying I don't have precise measurements for the dressing. Counting four ears of corn was fairly easy. Two cucumbers, half an onion, easy. Blueberries are pre-measured in pints. The basil... ehhh. Anyhow. Here goes.

About 1/3 cup orange champagne vinegar. I love this stuff, it's almost like dessert. It's pretty sweet, with a perfect tang of vinegar. If you don't have it (I got it from Trader Joe's), just pick a mild vinegar. Balance it with more honey. I wound up using... less than a 1/4 cup. Enough olive oil to give it body. Salt and pepper, I used a generous amount. Taste as you go. Too sweet? More tang. Versa-vicea, etc. xoB might try the pickle juice. Go crazy.

But I exercised restraint, because the corn tonight was de-fucking-licious. And it doesn't take much to overpower the corn. And it doesn't take much to showcase it. You can always add more.

Add the dressing, mix well. When serving, put a small garnish of basil on the top.

Pig out, you're welcome.