Thread: Cook's perks
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Tulip I feel for you!

My Mum isn't like that thank goodness.
Since working behind the Deli counter I try to clean as I go, but there is only so much you can do. I always feel I have to apologise for any washing up, but the people I've cooked for (the 'rents and the Limeys) have always been up for the cooking/ cleaning exchange and very kind about it.

I can eat. I can eat poor meals, big meals, cheap meals. But don't ask me to eat when other people are clattering about, or in an emotionally charged atmosphere. I'd rather go to bed hungry.

My worst meals ever have been Christmas Dinner. Once eating alone at a boyfriend's house because his Grandad had to have his dinner at a specific time and I worked in a bar. They knew what time I would arrive, but I was still given a mostly cold dinner and his Mum cleaned up around me as if I'd peed on her nice carpet.

And then two horrible ones at home which ended in tears (one documented here, where Mum didn't speak to me until the New Year)
And one at the top of the World Trade Center - no, really - when I rowed so badly with the Evil Ex we got separate taxis back to our hotel.

Making braised ox-cheeks for tea tomorrow.
I doubt I'll have any specific perks, but there also haven't been any meal conflicts for ages, since I stopped eating with them. And of course we're all dancing round the fact we won't be living together much longer, so we're enjoying it while we can.