View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #503
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Cleaning out some old files and came across this letter I wrote on behalf of the inchling, sometime last year: His words in bold.

Dear Topgear folks,

For several weeks my five year old son and I have enjoyed watching TopGear on your website since we don't get BBC where we live. Our son gets to watch a video once a week, usually BBC's Planet Earth Series or recently the BBC Dinosaur series. Alternatively, he can elect to watch several top gear clips form your website. Limited to an hour a week, you can imagine, it is not lightly that he makes his choice.

While dinosaurs are massive and gorey they are no match for Jeremy, James, Hammond, and of course, The Stig.

Last week we searched for new clips and were saddened and dismayed by having an obnoxious and unwanted advertisement forced upon us whenever we wanted to watch a clip. We will suffer banners and popups, but this was beyond the pale. After enduring the mind numbing clip twice my son began to cry and insist that we switch it off since we couldn't disable the advertisement.

Tearfully, he told me the following and asked me to convey his thoughts and feelings to you. Quoting:

"Tell them they should be put in jail. They should be cut in half and have their heads cut off. And their hearing should be lost and their mouths clogged up so they can't speak. They should have their eyes cut out.

"Hide this from mom 'cause she doesn't like mean stuff. Those guys are the stupidest guys in the world."

So there you have it, a five year old's unvarnished opinion. Far from inducing him to ever want anything made by Atari, you have driven him back into the arms of dinosaurs and poisoned the well of his fondness for Jeremy, James, Hammond, and The Stig. The look of questioning and hesitation on his face when he quotes Clarkson: "HELP! I'm being eaten by dogs, I'm a pregnant woman and I'm all alone." is sad. And if that weren't bad enough you have compelled him to keep his feelings secret from his mother.

You made a five year old cry.

Woefully yours,

footfootfoot

PS Happy update! It seems as though the advertisements are gone. I will tell my son when he wakes up from his nap.