Thread: West Yorkshire
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
How come everywhere you go, it's interesting and beautiful?
That is such a kind comment, I've been thinking about it all day.

And yes, Griff, there is much to love about industrial architecture.

My friend Peter agreed to drive me to Otley.
I'd been fooled by the fact that it's often referred to as Otley, Leeds, and by the LS postcode into thinking it was closer to Leeds than it was. I knew I could travel Bradford to Leeds easily, and thought it would be a hop and a skip from there. No. It's on it's own little commuter route, and the best I could have done was get two buses. I had the time, but it was much more pleasant to catch up with an old friend and be chauffeured there. After my stress-stress-stress about what time the buses stopped running (two hour group interview starting at 17.00) he even said he would wait around and give me a lift back, which he did. If I'm lucky in anything it's in the amazing people who come into my life.

I didn't see much of the town, but this (Guardian article) will give you a little flavour.
Also check out this postcode for my new flat (second floor, number 51) on Google maps if you're interested: LS21 1AG
This was the ad on Gumtree, not sure if it will still be up.

The supermarket is larger than my branch, with longer counters and more lines - yes, sadly I could spot exactly what we didn't stock and they did! And the café is three times the size. I won't have time to miss my old store, that's for sure.

As mentioned previously, I had booked to see the flat above on Wednesday morning, but was offered an interview for a rival supermarket at approx the same time. I figured that the job was more important, so I went for the interview. Their place (in fact their HQ) was high on a hill and the area around it was a little run down. I got talking to a contractor while we waited for the shuttle bus which took me halfway back to the city centre. He said I was better off doing that than going out of the gates and getting public transport all the way back; it was a rough area. Now personally it didn't look bad enough for me to worry about waiting for a bus at 11.30 in bright sunlight, but it was interesting to hear.

The job on offer was one I was wary of too.
Kitchen work has always scared me slightly with its relentless pace. I can't even watch Hell's Kitchen. In fact the only team I remember watching and enjoying (in one of its incarnations, it may have changed since) were from an A&E department. Pressure? Ha! No-one's dying here tonight, what is this thing you think is pressure?

So anyway, second outing in my little blue and white dress (the one I travelled in when I went to Arran). Very blowy day, so as soon as I got back into Bradford I changed into my only other outfit of trousers and top in a McDonalds toilet. I'd hauled my jacket all the way up there (because Mum equates The North with the Arctic Circle) and never wore it, getting by with the addition of a woolly hat and a scarf when I felt chilly.

I was a picture in shades of lilac/ burgundy/ pink.
I didn't think about how matchy-matchy I was until my journey was well underway. Ah well, the fashion police failed to stop me in the street at least.

I had a wander while waiting for Dana.
Street artist had just started his dog sculpture. It's very basic at this point, when I passed him later it was more realistic and detailed. I guess you start off simple in order to get money while you're working. If no-one can tell what it is for the first two hours you're not going to get anything!

We looked for him later on, but I couldn't remember where he was in the warren of steep streets and cobbled alleyways.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 04-19-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote