Thread: Homemade Bread
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydaan View Post
Go to a second hand store and get a $15 bread maker.... I make my bread in the bread maker, then take it out, shape it, let it rise and bake it in the oven. My recipe does two full size loaves at a time. The bread has no preservatives and is quite good. It stays fresh for about 2-3 days... if you are eating that many sandwiches a week, you would have to make bread twice a week, or so.

my basic sandwich loaf:

2 cups warm water
3 heaping tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon yeast
3 tablespoons of margarine
1 heaping tablespoon of skin milk powder (optional)
5 1/2 cups flour

This makes great buns and stuffed buns as well ( I add ham and cheese or hamburger and cabbage into the middle of the bun, seal and rise/bake like normal... great with soup or "on the go" lunches)

I am sure you could make this without the bread maker, in would just be the basic bread instructions, so: mix, knead for 3 min, let rise 'til double, punch down, knead 3 min, then shape and let rise.. bake at 350 for as long as it takes until tapping the top sounds hollow and is golden brown ( usually 25-35 min for loaves)

I find it costs me less than $0.95 per basic batch, where right now bread in the store is $2-3.50 a loaf!
Thanks. For non-generic bread here is costs about $3.00-$3.50 for 15 slices.

If I do go through with this I will get a bread maker. I have a rice cooker and the convenience of it is much worth the $20 so I'm assuming this will be the same. Thanks for the advice everyone and hopefully this will turn out positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Yes, yes, and maybe. What else would you be doing with your time? If you would be playing video games, then yes. If you would be studying or working at a job, then no.
I do all my studying at work and on campus so when I'm at my house it is usually just relaxing and entertaining my friends. I'm decent at multitasking so I should have the time to at least get in a few loaves a week.