View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #28
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
And why does Gadd get to go off but nobody else does?
I would ask the question in a different way: Why did they only write one song for the album where it was appropriate for the drummer to go off?

But the answer may have something more to do with their tendency to bring in a bunch of different session players, let them do their own thing, and pick the guy that fits the song the best. They didn't know in advance that Home At Last would have a Purdie Shuffle, but when you hear it that way, you know that's it.

Aja may simply be the product of Gadd doing his Gadd thing, creating these mind-blowing parts that leave you standing there with your jaw on the floor, while, for him, it's just another day at the office. Of course, the song was written with these big wide-open spaces in it, but, who would have ever thought that Gadd would have played what he did? Maybe they knew they had some space to fill, so they just unleashed Gadd on it. Most of the other guys, when there was space, just left the space, and that sound good too. I don't know, dude. That's a good question.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote