View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #745
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Same here, new law on changing to the left lane or slowing way down if you can't, when a cop's on the shoulder. There seems to be a wave of these laws being passed across the country. I would speculate the problem was being out on the shoulder is incredibly dangerous and when someone hits the cop, his car, or the car he stopped, he could rarely charge the driver.

Hey, that's why they call them accidents, bro.

That's left the cops vulnerable to carefully executed "accidents", but this law helps prevent accidents real and staged. But of course that would never be discussed in the open.

A lot of states have the get-the-fuck-over laws but the cops are usually too busy to observe, no less enforce them unless you're right in front of him. I remember being on I-84 in Ct late at night. I'm in the right lane, very light traffic, and I see flashing lights coming up from behind in the left lane. When the cruiser catches up with me he's got colored light flashing, headlights strobing and the siren blaring. He's also 2 inches off the rear bumper of some guy who was oblivious... or dead. The cop must have been furious because about a minute later the cop passed him on the median, even though my lane was open.

It's one of those catch 22 things, the cop has to be elsewhere or he might have been tempted to shoot the fool, but if he didn't have to be elsewhere it wouldn't have happened in the first place.