View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #90
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Sorry. I just get pissed off by some of the scienctific studies that get trotted out around this stuff, that basically try to suggest these differences are all innate. They're not. They're a product of environment. Which means that they are not universal.
I agree generally but I do think that some of the observations as differences between the sexes have merit on general terms.

Quote:
It strikes me also, that if you are in a predominately female profession, then it is a profession that will naturally lend itself to a particular skill set which we nost normally class as feminine: consequently more traditionally feminine women are likely to be in that area of work. By the same token, if an occupation is predominately male, then it is likely to make use of, and therefore attract a traditionally masculine skillset and therefore will be full of traditionally masculine men.
Yes. And it is interesting to both me and my wife, being opposite sexes in other sex predominate professions, that many of these observations are in fact true. But I don't see it as a block to advancement or function in various jobs. I only note the biggest difference seen by both of us is how men and women generally deal with conflict.

Quote:
Steroetypes often do apply, that's how they become stereotypes. But they are exaggerated to the point where they become a lie. Large numbers of women and large numbers of men would find themselves somewhat excluded from those jokes if they were told to a truly representative segment of gender character types.
I don't know that I agree they become a lie, more that they become overly exaggerated.

Quote:
I just get a little pissed off. I get this shit fed back to me by people who genuinely believe that women are less capable of reason than men, because they are more emotional creatures.
Well as a father of two grown daughters and a wife with a professional degreee, I don't believe that.