Thread: My First Knife
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
149 posts into the thread at this point. OUTSTANDING Perry, thank you. I noticed it took 113 posts to generate the first set of questions. I, too, am fond of WIP threads. This one is especially wonderful. I'm super envious of the guy's shop. Of course, this is his professional work (I'm guessing) so he can justify it more easily than I can. I can also sympathize with the specific moans about the difficulty and the extra trouble it takes to photo document one's own work. I have numerous projects I've done this for, and some of them have made it to the cellar. This guy's cook's tour through the shop of a master knifemaker is thrilling for me. I give him a standing ovation. You'll do well to read stuff like this. I know you have just as much potential as he's demonstrating. Go get'em, tiger!
I'm envious of all of the big fancy tools he's got. His disc grinder, surface grinder, milling machine, salt pot, etc. are all things I want to have some day. But what really blows me away is his attention to his own personal process, which gives rise to all of the crazy custom jigs and tools he's built.

His trick with the jeweler's saw is brilliant (around post 210). And like most brilliant things it's obvious after you see it done once.

I'm flattered that you think I have that sort of potential. I'm so nervous about the three knives I've committed to make for dwellers. I know I can do it, but that emotional component is still a hurdle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
bull shit. Post them, *please*. I like to see what work my friends do. you're a damn renaissance man anyhow, you have nothing left to prove, just show us the pictchurs man.
I have to second this.

My knife wouldn't have turned out half as good if I weren't being baby-sat by a world-class knifemaker. It also would have taken twice as long in my ill-equipped shop.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote