View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #754
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Okay.

All my Grrrrrs were resolved and I left school yesterday feeling soothed and settled and most of all - positive.

I had a 30 minute session with Mrs L which went SO well.
I do wish we could have had it before I supposed to see the Speech Therapist (who did leave a message apparently, but it wasn't passed on. My teacher got the apology for that rather than me, but I'm happy to accept it) but due to circumstances it turned out okay.

The confusion was due to the fact Mrs L expects to see the issue in the first sentence.
This is not clear in the notes I was given or in the examples I've read, but it does explain why she thought the coat was the important point.

The icons were simply to introduce me to a program called Communication through Pictures (or somesuch).
It is highly adaptable and you can remove or change icons at will, meaning there might only be one per line, or the icon is larger than the text, or text larger than icon etc. It is based on the idea that children on the autism spectrum are visual learners and I can see it can be used in so many ways.

I came away from the session so much better informed - not just about what I was trying to do re social stories, but also about Tiger's behaviour. No, she doesn't know him, but I was ignoring the fact that she has far more knowledge of children with his type of condition than I have. The worksheets were unsuitable, but she fully supported the ideas I'd been using and came up with some wonderful suggestions.

I don't feel bad about venting here.
I needed one to one time with her, and once I had it things changed completely.

Thanks for letting me hijack a little.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote