View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #205
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Please can I have your best recipe for low fat Tuna Pasta Bake (possibly Tuna Noodle Casserole in the US) Ideally with UK measurements, though if you have to use cups I can probably get by...
Basic recipe
Par-boiled pasta.
Soften chopped in 1 tablespoonful of olive oil, or low fat marge, or other stuff. Take the pan off the heat briefly.
Sprinkle 1 rounded tablespoonful of flour (selfraising or plain, it doesn't matter) onto the softened onions and stir til all onion bits coated in flour.
Put the pan back on a low-medium heat, add a little bit (an eggcupful-ish) from half a pint of milk (semi-skimmed, skimmed if you like I suppose), and stir til mixed and thickened. Add a little more milk and repeat ... Adding the milk gradually like this prevents the formation of lumps.
When the consistency of the onion sauce (yahey!) is to your liking, stir it into the pasta, and add the chunks of tuna. I'd grate a little cheese on the top, and stick it under the grill to brown.
Variations
Instead of tuna tinned mackerel, cooked chicken pieces, salami-type sausage bits, a tin of beans (not baked beans, but black eyed, or kidney beans, say), crisply fried bacon bits.
Instead of onion, mushrooms, or add peppers to the onions. Cook the onions til dark brown for a different flavour.
Curry powder in the sauce.
Cheese in the sauce. Goats cheese!
Go wild and poach (gently simmer until the flesh is white and flaky) an 8 ounce fillet of (smoked or unsmoked) haddock in the 1/2 pint of milk, and then use tha tmilk to make the sauce and the haddock instead of the tuna.
Add peas or sweetcorn.
Instead of onion sauce, a tin of tomatoes or passata or whatever and herbs (basil is good).
Please accept my apologies if any of this is too basic. Hope this helps.

Last edited by limey; 11-05-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo!
limey is offline   Reply With Quote