View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #43
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
The calculation of "those guys think it is ok therefore it is ok" is OUR logic because we are normal. But it's not the way a sociopath would reason; with a lack of empathy, what other people think and how they will cast judgement is not important to them. I would imagine that a sociopath is more likely to rape because it's NOT socially acceptable. But like I say, that's just my guess.
The Stanford Experiment showed we're all just a half-step away from being sociopaths. We're herd animals, more like, and we follow what we see (or what we perceive, at any rate--and in the absence of clear signals, we see what we want to see.)

It's true that good guys don't have to do anything but keep being awesome. But like Dana said, it's also nice when the good guys can evangelize a little to the mediocre guys, because it helps out us folks who the mediocre guys see as objects and would never have listened to in the first place. However, I do agree that large public pronouncements are often virtue signaling, and sometimes even evidence of a hidden problem--like Weinstein at the Women's March, or to a lesser degree, Syc's really weird possessiveness of his new wife's kid. What matters is not what you declare on Facebook, but what you say to your best friend, one-on-one, when the two of you are talking about that chick you wanna bang. You are good, UT, and I trust that you'd want to say the right thing. But also, sometimes we're all Billy Bush, laughing along at the horrific guy because we don't know what else to do and we want whoever we're talking to to like us in the moment.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote