View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #2015
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Well he is finally on the mend. Our little Aussie Cattle dog that is. My wife said he found a big rattlesnake last Sunday and I was skeptical that it really found one. So I along with said dog headed to the bush, me with a large fireplace poker, the dog with his natural curiosity and desire to protect. Well we found it. And it almost found me first. We could hear it rattle in the exact spot that the wife said it had been days earlier, which makes be believe it was a large female laying eggs. The dog poked his head in barking and jumped out a few times. I put the dog in the screened porch and got the handgun. I poked around a few more times and found it literally at my feet ready to strike. I dispatched it with the handgun to snake-heaven and then shot it a few more times. It was quite huge. About as big around in the middle as a man’s two hands grasping a fire hose. Approximately 3.5 feet long, a little over a meter for the rest of you. I had trouble holding it up with the fireplace tongs with one hand. I have some pics but will have to post them later. We did not realize the dog had been bit at first. It was about 15 min later when we saw him walking around unsteadily with his ears down and drooling. I grabbed him and you could see the strike mark on his left upper lip. Well of course it was a Sunday and the regular vet was not open so we had to rush him to town and the 24 emergency vet clinic. It was expensive but not as expensive as it could have been. He did not need the anti-venom which is $700 a shot. The vet said we were lucky that it was a mature snake because they tend to give warning strikes and not unload their "wad" (as she put it) all at once, smaller snakes tend to "drop their load" all at once because they don't know better. She put him on steroids, antibiotics, and antihistamines, and pain killers. His face swelled up and he couldn't eat for about 2-3 days. He is on the mend but still not himself. They are smart dogs and I bet he will remember that tell tale sound of the rattle but who knows, he is a dog. After a week I just expected him to bounce back to his crazy self. A friend of mine who had a bigger dog said his dog was never the same after being bitten. Keeping my fingers crossed for a different outcome.