View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #10318
glatt

I need to get my head screwed on right. This shouldn't be bothering me so much, but it is.

My firm renewed its lease at this building and is going to renovate its space into more of an "open office" concept. I just saw the new floor plan yesterday.

I am losing my private office. It isn't a big office, but I've had one private office or another for about 20 years. I'll be in a marginally larger room, with 4 people in it and a small desk in each corner.

"Managers" get to keep their offices. I'm a manager in what I do, but not in my title. I'll be losing about 85% of my file space and getting a desk about half the size of the one I have now, so I have to dramatically change how I do my job and what records I keep on hand.

When I let my mind wander and go down the path of worry, I think about how one of the things I do is manage contract workers, and at first glance, I don't see any space for contract workers in the new building. Which means they intend for all future contract workers to be offsite. If they are offsite, they won't be managed as closely by me any more. So now I'm wondering if they are going to phase out my job. Or part of it anyway.

The truth is they need me badly for this renovation. I'll be doing lots of managing space and moving staff around. It will be very busy for me. And during that time, I'll get a clearer picture of what is coming, and can try to maneuver myself into an indispensable position. But right now, all I can see is them not valuing me.

Gah. Those fuckers. Part of the problem is that the firm used to be run by really smart people, and the people running it now are fairly clueless. And that bugs me too. I wonder if this place is a sinking ship. I fantasize about dusting off my resume and going elsewhere, but my chances for succeeding are better here in this organization where I have a good reputation with a lot of people I know well. How am I going to get my foot in the door anywhere else, and maybe those other places are run by idiots too.

Anyway, I have all these toxic thoughts going through my head. Things have a way of working out. I just need to clear this shit out of my head.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote