View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #16
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz View Post
sundae - what the hell do you mean?
I worked as a hostess many years ago in a drinking club. Basically they existed at the time to get round Britain’s licensing laws – it was ostensibly a private club, but you could join at the door if you suddenly decided you wanted to drink until the morning.

We got paid a flat fee if we stayed all night (23.00-06.00 from what I remember) and a kickback on any drink bought by “our” customers after they had spent a certain amount. Bottles of champagne had a special premium, so you got those if you could.

Now getting drunk was seriously frowned on, but the best way to encourage customers to drink was to pretend a fierce thirst and get them to keep up with you (another reason it was better to get them on champagne rather than spirits). So girls were encouraged to ditch their drinks – tip them into plant pots, take them to the Ladies with them, spill them etc. I seem to remember there was a special name for it, but I can’t say I remember now. There were apparently ways of doing it which weren’t obvious, but I was like some sort of French farce when I tried, so I usually ended up quite drunk. Luckily I am quite a sober drunk, so I did get away with it.

There wasn’t anything sordid about it (I was only there a few weeks, there may have been things I wasn’t aware of) it was just about after hours drinking and female company. I learned a whole fund of silly games and conversation starters – quite like the threads in Nothingland to be honest. I wasn’t very good at making money, but I got on well with the other girls who worked there. The more experienced ones would write off a night and go home if they didn’t have any customers by a certain time, but I would stay in order to get my flat fee and drink with the other girls’ parties. Of course this raised their sales and made the party more entertaining, and sometimes I’d be slipped a folded up note for my trouble (it was gutting to get to the toilets and realise it was a phone number when you were hoping for £10!)