View Single Post
Old 09-19-2001, 10:14 AM   #8
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Yeah, it's a song about pregnancy, with the fourth line referring to "tears of joy." THAT'LL work well as a poignant tragedy anthem!

The South Park remix of "My Heart Will Go On" was hysterical. THAT, at least, was meant as a parody of the original, deliberately undermining it -- these tragedy remixes merely hijack the song's original intent to push an unrelated cause or a desired emotional reaction. What must the original composer/writer think of this?

Don't get me STARTED on Lieberman. His "Columbine was caused by the evil influence of hip-hop music" rants would be a lot funnier if he had less political influence, and if fewer people bought into the "We MUST protect the CHILDREN!" smokescreen that covers these ban-the-"immorality" crusades.

I will _not_ turn this into a political rant -- I've worn myself out arguing these issues on another website -- but suffice it to say that certain politicians' track records on this issue influenced my vote in November. Gore's record speaks (badly) for itself, Lieberman outed himself as a narrow-minded, self-righteous evangelist buffoon long ago, Bush pushed (and continues to push) the same "family values" and "morality" and "protect the children" claptrap as the Democrats, and McCain cosponsored one of the most heinous labeling bills of the last ten years (which failed, thankfully). Not many candidates were left! (It's far from the only issue that influenced my vote, but I'll drop that here and pick it up on the Politics board if it's utterly necessary.)
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote