View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #38
glatt

Last night, I made a carrying case for some memory cards.

I had ordered 3 double packs of SD memory cards off Amazon for an upcoming vacation to the 4 corners region. They were cheap. But these memory cards didn't come with protective cases. Including the two I already owned, I now had 8 SD cards to keep track of. It's an embarrassment of riches, but a potential problem if I lose a card containing a couple hundred priceless vacation pictures.

Eyeballing an SD memory card, I realized that each one was about the height of a 35 mm negative. I thought they might fit perfectly into the plastic sheets you used to have for organizing 35mm film negatives. So I dug through a box of old photos to get a sheet of negative holders. Cut two pieces out of it in a way that each will hold 4 cards with easy access from both sides of the sheet. I had a plastic box from a pocket first aid kit that was the perfect size. I padded the inside of the box with a little thin foam packaging from a cell phone, and the card sleeves fit in there perfectly. An Altoid tin would probably also be just the right size.

It's super simple, and very effective. The cards are easy to slide into and out of the sleeves. I should post a picture.

You can buy very similar card organizers for like $10 online. But it's cheaper, faster, and more fun to make one out of stuff you may have lying around.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote