The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Censorship At The Checkout: Rights Violation or Pandering to Parents?

Down here in Atlanta, GA, the large Publix supermarket chain has started placing plastic placards over the magazines located at the checkout in deference to the many "moms" who are concerned that their precious ones will be unduly influenced by the semi-nude models, references to SEX!, and all the other lurid and sensationalistic topics that are those publications' bread and butter. It kind of irked me, so I got into the habit of removing them and placing them over Good Housekeeping; that is until they started securing them with plastic clips. I spoke with the store manager to see who started this whole thing and found out it was a directive from Publix Headquarters. The manager also told me that she would cover up any publication if she received a complaint. Oh, really? How about covering up the Guns and Ammo magazine in the regular magazine isle? How about covering the God Wants You To Be Rich book on that book display? More to the point, those publishers pay money to be displayed at the checkout, using their lurid covers and topics to gain those "Point of Sale" customers. I don't buy those rags, but it's fun to look at and read the covers. Should the concerns of a few parents trump my right to at least see the product? Why not talk to your kids about marketing? They're just gonna be more curious if you cover the stuff up. Is anybody else with me on this?
Pangloss62 is offline   Reply With Quote