Old 03-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #136
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

they did the math

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #137
Flint
Snowflake

I am mildly alarmed, and processing something new..

I overheard my co-workers complaining about, in general, media hysteria over the coronavirus. Complaining about events being cancelled. Then it happened-- I heard, "The LIBERALS won't be happy until everything is shut down!" Followed by 10 minutes of complaining about LIBERALS and DEMOCRATS causing the coronavirus panic.

Folks, if you don't know, I work at in the healthcare sector. If people are treating a public health event as POLITICAL in nature, I'm afraid our civilization may have reached the point of no return. If not this, something, soon.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:01 PM   #138
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OMG. Yes. You just put on the They Live sunglasses and now you can see it too

now... didn''t want to tellya... but... look at your friends with the sunglasses on

it's infected everyone

politics makes us stupid
Old 03-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #139
monster
I hear them call the tide

All the universities here closed today. If we want to politicize and conspiracy theorize ....isn't it dictatorships who want an uneducated populace?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #140
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It is the ideal time not to be employed at a business that serves large numbers of the general public.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #141
monster

I'd take it over being unemployed, though. (well unless "it" was Macdonalds. Not there ....yet)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #142
glatt

I just ordered a computer monitor and cable so I can have dual monitors at home if/when my firm closes. I can't do my job with just a single little 19 inch monitor.

I wonder if corona virus will reimburse me? Or Trump? Didn't he say something about freeing up money?

My daughter is home for spring break and has been told that break is going to be extended an additional week. (So far.)

We've been slowly stocking up on food, but with an extra mouth in the house, we need to get more. We have only about a week or two of food. It looks like a lot more than that though. 4 people eat a lot of food. We are running out of shelf space.

One admitted student college visit day for my son has been cancelled. The other school's day is in April and hasn't been cancelled (yet.) That one will likely cost us $1k in non-refundable plane tickets. We may visit anyway and walk around the closed campus. I was stupid though. Should have paid for the travel insurance on that one. I knew the virus was out there when I booked it.

Schools are still open. Work is still open. I'm still riding the Metro each day, but with roughly 1,000 cases in the US, and maybe 100 people in each metro car, there is only a 0.03% chance that I'll encounter one of them on any given ride, according to that chart above.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #143
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm still riding the Metro each day, but with roughly 1,000 cases in the US, and maybe 100 people in each metro car, there is only a 0.03% chance that I'll encounter one of them on any given ride, according to that chart above.
cough a little and you'll soon have a carriage to yourself and reduce your chances?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #144
monster

Quote:
My daughter is home for spring break and has been told that break is going to be extended an additional week. (So far.)
mine gets spring break next week. They were told it was going to be one extra week, but now it's two...

And my sons' uni (which had spring break last week) cancelled everything for the rest of the week and is going online only for the rest of the semester starting Monday.

Of course my ditsy son broke his phone and spent hours playing games instead of ordering a new one so now can't access all the online stuff because it's dual factor authentication requiring a mobile phone..... sigh
Old 03-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #145
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Apparently somebody kicked Trump in the balls and it activated some brain cells. So extremists are now worried.

Trump has finally decided to address this pandemic with the attitude that he needed two month ago when it was that obvious. Maybe Merkel's comments were short enough to attract his 30 second attention span. Base upon pathetic responses by so many world leaders, we can expect 60 to 70% of the world's population to eventually test positive for Covid-19. At somewhere between 2% and 3% deaths, how many people is that?

"Don't worry. Be happy", says Flint.

Trump finally let his medical people stop downplaying the seriousness of this pandemic. But one thing he clearly did not do. He did not address the missing 1 million test kits that are needed. Test kits that remain in short supply because he obstructed the necessary response two months ago.

Because this virus does not have high fatality rates, then it is more dangerous - spreads farther. Apparently without any indication for weeks.

This pandemic coincides with a rush on toilet paper. Did his speaking also cause a diarrhea epidemic? I understand he read from the teleprompter. Meaning he only said what he was told to say. So it should not have been that bad.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #146
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
… We've been slowly stocking up on food, but with an extra mouth in the house, we need to get more. We have only about a week or two of food. ...
Nawwww, an economical alternative is to simply order a copy of the Donner Party Cookbook.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:48 AM   #147
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Forgot I had this...

pause...
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #148
be-bop
Operations Operative

Talking

My Good Lady thinks I'm being paranoid about the C virus, but hey I've won the raffle with the underlying conditions.
Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Blood Clotting problems (I'm on Warfarin )
Well I suppose shit happens
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #149
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At least you have proof you're not a rat.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #150
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
"Don't worry. Be happy", says Flint.
lol what?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote